Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal growth gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Large by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a superb choice for householders in search of a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring choice.
Additionally, it’s one of the crucial inexpensive flooring choices, making it an amazing alternative for budget-conscious householders. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. toes of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nevertheless, you should buy luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The Dwelling Depot.
So, for those who set up it your self, it might solely price you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake individuals make when putting in is reducing it tight towards a wall. All floating flooring require an growth house — you’ll want wherever from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the luxurious vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply remember to safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Observe the instructions precisely relating to any underlayment. Relying on the sort you purchase, the underlayment might already be hooked up.
Watch: Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris has spent in his new Alabama residence, and he’s seeing the consequences of thermal growth.
Over the previous months, he says vital gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to right the difficulty? If the gaps are crammed, will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s superb how a lot supplies in a house develop and contract, and possibly nowhere is it extra evident than whenever you’re taking a look at crown molding.
The excellent news is these gaps will often shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round.
Nevertheless, you probably have some gaps which are very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As a substitute of utilizing conventional caulk, fastidiously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem nevertheless it gained’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Take heed to study the simple approach to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what it’s good to do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A house owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“In addition to raking, which I hate, how can I decide up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the ability to choose them up. Is there a bit of apparatus appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you need to use to take away acorns from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to include the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These will be expensive, so see for those who can hire one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To eradicate this downside sooner or later, forestall the acorns from falling within the first place. If attainable, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical therapies can forestall acorn manufacturing, however solely an expert arborist ought to apply them.
Take note — eradicating acorns will be time-consuming and also you would possibly have to repeat it as new acorns fall.
At all times put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and concentrate on bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A house owner says the tempered glass on his gasoline cooktop out of the blue shattered the opposite day, regardless that the equipment wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be robust and sturdy, however it will possibly shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes.
A few of the most typical causes of tempered glass shattering embrace:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop is just not put in appropriately, it will possibly put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. For example, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it might put some stress on the highest, finally inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to fast adjustments in temperature, resembling from a scorching pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it will possibly trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Typically, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra liable to shattering. If so, report it to the producer.
You may name an expert to interchange the glass cooktop, nevertheless it may be costly. Take into account changing the equipment with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To stop a glass cooktop from shattering, observe the following tips:
- Don’t place a scorching pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This may trigger thermal stress and may trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and stop warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it will possibly scratch or chip the glass.
- Don’t place heavy objects, resembling forged iron pans or strain cookers, on the cooktop as they’ll trigger affect harm.
- Clear the cooktop commonly with a gentle detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or material to take away any grime, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it will possibly trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- At all times observe the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Masking Terracotta Tile
A house owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California apartment.
“The floor is just too laborious, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can now we have extra snug flooring put in on high? It looks like removing might be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll wish to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a easy, even floor for putting in one other sort of flooring over it.
You would possibly run into the issue of elevating the ground peak an excessive amount of to the place it will possibly block home equipment from opening or make them not stage together with your cupboards and counters. Verify the peak of the brand new flooring to ensure this gained’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for protecting terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring will be put in over the prevailing tiles and is sturdy and simple to scrub.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring will be put in over the prevailing tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring will also be put in over the prevailing tiles and is offered in lots of kinds and colours.
- Floating ground: A floating ground is a sort of flooring that’s not hooked up to the subfloor, any such flooring will be put in over the terracotta tiles and will be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with an expert flooring specialist to find out the best choice on your particular state of affairs.
Finest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your initiatives. Be taught extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Software — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, you could first take away any standing water. Now, you possibly can use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s another choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally known as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you possibly can squirt it right into a bucket, rest room or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, rest room clogs, or you probably have a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display screen Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s finest to cross the paint by a filter to display out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should purchase disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows by a lot too slowly. As a substitute, use a bit of vinyl insect screening. Reduce the display about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the previous paint by the display. When completed, rinse out the display with a backyard hose and reserve it for the following paint job.
Watch: Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display screen
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
If in case you have a remark, normal query about residence enchancment, or one thing we have featured on Immediately’s House owner, please fill on this type: